Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How Michael Jackson introduced me to Western Music

Michael Jackson is no more. It’s sad. True. But, the way he died is more hurting. He shouldn’t have left the world with so many questions unanswered. HIStory remains.

MJ showed us two ways. The things that are to be followed are the first way given Michael Jackson. The things that should not be followed are the second way shown by him.

His dedication to Music is simply admirable. His music talent is not a mere talent, but a genius. MJ was = Music.

The person like me, who come from low-middle class family of India, getting introduced to Pop Music or Western Music is a very difficult one. 1990’s was the time when I joined college in Bangalore. At that time, all that I could hear western songs was in Music stores. There were no songs other than that of Michael Jackson’s playing in those stores.

So for me Western Music was nothing but Michael Jackson. I thought every English song would be in the way MJ sings. Then, Ricky Martin came to scene with his refreshing Latino numbers like “Un dos tres”. By now, I was aware of the world other than MJ’s.

We did get TV in our house. Cable connection came in. I started to watch channel V for the sake of seeing Ricky Martin and Michael Jackson’s songs. At that time channel V was playing western music abundantly. Then I got introduced to Lou Bega, the funky musician. Then came in Enrique Iglesius songs.

Eventually, I got introduced to the ocean of Western Music with so much diversity. All this happened because of Michael Jackson. He is the true ambassador of Western Music. Kudos…!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home