Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Will the French crown make Federer the greatest ever?

Roger Federer finally conquered French Open. Robin Soderling could do little to stop the Swiss great from making history. The French Wall that denied the entry of Federer’s name entering as an all time great was crushed.

The Wimbledon is considered as the “grandest slam” among the four tennis grand slams. But for Roger Federer, the French Open was everything. He had a lot of stakes in it. It was, and along with it, the Rafael Nadal, remained as the thorns in the flesh of Federer. Now, nevertheless, Nadal remains now as the only thorn for him, though.

Nadal was as brutal, as powerful, as dominant as he was earlier until the match against Robin Soderling. Nadal crumbled and collapsed against Sweden’s player and the loss looked very unnatural. The Spain’s world number one was playing amateurishly and it seemed like Nadal was himself withdrawing from the competition. I felt like Nadal was surrendering himself to make way for Federer. Maybe, I hope it’s just a feeling.

Why not Nadal?
Rafael Nadal’s game has everything that makes him a real champion. He can beat Federer in any place. If Federer can be the all-time great, then, why not Nadal be the greatest? But, still I feel for Roger Federer. I expect miraculous shots from him whenever he faces Nadal. Every simple shots from Federer look like a miraculous one. Why?

In my childhood days, it was Ivan lendl who captured my mind. Though my little mind couldn’t analyze tennis game I was feeling like the Czechoslovakia star was far better than Germany’s Boris Becker. I hate Ivan lendl losing to Becker. Finally, Becker overcame lendl to become number one at that time. But, Becker never became my favourite.

Then, later it was Pete Sampras. He became my favourite player. I couldn’t digest a player beating Sampras.

Now, Roger Federer is my favourite. Nadal is his nemesis. I love to see Nadal losing in his every match.

Ah, one interesting fact is there. Roger Federer has one nemesis that is Nadal. But Nadal has two nemeses in Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray. Del Potro is arriving to the core. Tsonga is on a song. And that doesn’t sound music to the ears of Nadal.

Yeah… Hate campaign.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home